Regardless of whether we are talking about a car, a truck, a tractor, a bike, or fixed machinery of all kinds, when it comes to metal in motion there is a lot of friction and heat involved, which makes lubrication a necessity in order to avoid damages to the engine. The problem when you use oils and greases is that dirt may be implicated, so engine cleaning is essential. What lubricants do is to carry these dirt and debris away from the engine, making sure that they’re filtered correctly.
Likewise, more viscous lubricants tend to stain, in addition to sticking dirt, dust and other contaminants. This is why engine block cleaning it`s important, knowing the appropriate procedures can make a difference between messing up and having success at cleaning your engine.
To clean a car engine, you have to take into account several factors. First, that the engine is an essential element for the vehicle, full of small parts and components that can be affected by water and other liquids. Care and focus are highly recommended, as well as a lot of information on how to do it.
Before starting cleaning, what should we do?
Before starting to clean the engine, the first thing you should do is to consult the manufacturer’s manual for specific precautions for the engine. The second thing is to always make sure the engine is cold.
Once you`ve done this, know that the application of water under pressure in some parts of the engine can cause failures or unwanted breakdowns. For example, when water comes into contact with batteries or other elements such as the alternator, connectors, sensors, conduits, wiring, etc.
It should also be taken into account that in gasoline engines, water entering the spark plugs could cause them to malfunction. Therefore, when we clean an engine, we must always be as cautious as possible, since a lot of things could go wrong.
Therefore, when we go to clean an engine, it is important that we always take into account a series of precautions.
Some safe guidelines to follow when cleaning an engine
• Get ready for a suitable environment. A place that has a sewage treatment system is required as different liquids will be discharged.
• Place the vehicle in a horizontal and elevated position, to be able to access the underside of the engine, the part where more dirt is accumulated.
• Make sure to cover the most fragile elements with plastic bags.
• Unplug the battery terminals.
• Do not apply pressurized water directly on the most sensitive parts of the engine.
• Do not clean the engine while it is still hot, as this could cause a thermal shock when applying cold water to it.
• Use an appropriate engine cleaner for each part, as well as making sure that you have the necessary equipment (brushes, water gun or material to protect sensitive parts).
• At the end of the cleaning, it is recommended to leave the car at idle for a few minutes so all the moisture can evaporate.
It is clear to us that, to keep an engine at its optimum performance, it will always be necessary to periodically perform good maintenance, always adhering to the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations, thereby guaranteeing a percentage of the engine’s useful life. We trust that this article has been helpful for you.